Effective Date: December 30, 2022
- Covered by This Policy
- Policy Updates
- Collection of Personal Information
- Use of Your Personal Information
- Targeted Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- Disclosure of Your Personal Information
- Where Your Information is Processed and Stored
- Your Privacy Rights and Choices
- Additional Disclosures for Individuals Located in California
- Contact Us
COVERED BY THIS POLICY
This Policy applies to personal information we collect both online and offline, including when you access or use our websites (“Services”), shop in our stores, attend our events, contact customer support, or otherwise interact with us. In some cases, we may provide different or additional policies or notices about our information practices. For instance, we may provide different privacy policies or notices for certain programs or activities, or subsidiaries or affiliates, in which case this Policy will not apply.
Curtis may change this Policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the Effective Date above and, in some cases, we may provide you with more prominent notice (for example, by adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification), such as in connection with making material changes to this Policy. We encourage you to review this Policy regularly to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you make a purchase or rental from us; access and use our Services (including when you write a review or participate in other interactive areas of our Services); create an online account or profile; sign up for or participate in contests, promotions, sweepstakes, customer experience research, surveys, mailing lists, events; engage with us via social media platforms; and when you email, call, chat or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of information we may collect include your name, address, phone number, email address, ZIP code, photos, videos, social media usernames, demographic information, job title, information about your interests, and preferences, the content you post to the interactive areas of our Services, and any other information you choose to provide. If you make a purchase from us, we work with third party payment processors to collect and process your payment information.
In some cases, we may also collect information you provide about others, such as when you decide to purchase and ship products to someone or purchase a gift card for someone and request that we deliver it electronically. We will use this information to fulfill your requests and will not send communications to your contacts unrelated to your requests unless they separately engage with us or consent to receive communications from us.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you access or use the Services or transact business with us, we automatically collect certain information about you, including:
- Transaction Information: When you make a purchase or return, rent equipment, or register for events, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details, purchase price, and the date and location of the transaction.
- Device and Usage Information: We obtain information about the device you use to access our Services and your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, hardware model, operating system and app version, mobile network information, IP address, unique device identifiers, access times, pages viewed, items placed in your cart, links clicked, browsing behavior, and the webpage you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Audio and Video Recordings, Photos, and Chat Content: We capture photographs and video recordings in our stores and other facilities for security and loss prevention purposes. If you contact customer service through our chat feature or by phone, we may monitor and retain those conversations, including for training purposes.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also receive information about you from other sources. For example:
- We receive information from our vendors that host events, and manage lists and databases, such as contact information and feedback participants provide.
- We receive information from our vendors when you interact with them and the vendor provides your contact information to us so we can resolve your issue with their product or service, provide you a quotation on their product or service, and other situations.
- We collect content you disclose publicly in connection with our products, services or campaigns, including photos, videos and profile information.
- We may collect information about you from other users if they choose to disclose that information with us via the Services, such as if they purchase gifts for you.
Information We Infer or Derive About You
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect. For example, we may infer that you are looking to purchase wildland firefighting gear or other products based on your website browsing behavior and past purchases, or we may use your IP address to draw inferences about your approximate location.
USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use the information we collect about you to provide the products and services you request and customize your experience with us. We also use the information we collect to:
- provide, maintain, and improve our Services;
- facilitate and improve your in-store and online shopping experience;
- provide, deliver, and develop new products and services, process transactions and returns, and send you related information, including confirmations, receipts, invoices, customer experience surveys, and recall or other product related notices;
- manage your accounts with us, provide technical support (including to debug and troubleshoot), and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, support messages, and other transactional or relationship messages;
- detect, investigate, and help prevent security incidents, fraudulent transactions, and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activities and help protect the rights and property of Curtis and others;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- communicate with you about Curtis and vendor products, services, offers, surveys and customer experience research, news, events, and other information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to opt out of promotional communications, please see the Promotional Communications subsection of the Your Privacy Rights and Choices section below);
- comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services, stores, and experiences;
- tailor the content and information that we send or display to you, offer location customization and personalized recommendations, help, and instructions, and otherwise personalize your experience while using our Services;
- target advertisements to you on third-party platforms and websites (for more information and to opt out, please see the Targeted Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others section below);
- facilitate contests, promotions and sweepstakes, and process and deliver entries, rewards, and prizes; and
- carry out any other purpose conveyed to you at the time the information was collected.
TARGETED ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS SERVICES PROVIDED BY OTHERS
You can also learn more about interest-based ads, or opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes by companies that participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance, by visiting www.aboutads.info/choices.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In certain circumstances, we disclose (or permit others to directly collect) information about you. The list below describes when and to whom we disclose the categories of personal information described in the Collection of Personal Information section above:
- with service providers, vendors, contractors, or agents who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf, such as those that assist us with our business and internal operations like shipping and delivery, rentals, payment processing, fraud prevention, customer service, surveys and market research, gift cards, events, personalization, data enrichment, analytics, marketing, and advertising;
- when you participate in the interactive areas of our Services (such as by creating an account, posting comments and other content, or writing reviews), certain information about you may be displayed publicly on our Services and on third-party sites. For example, your photos, videos, stories, posts, comments, product reviews, product questions and answers, wish lists, information about your participation in events, and any other content or information you choose to provide in the interactive areas of our Services will be disclosed with users of our Services.
- with third parties that provide financing for your purchase if you decide to pay for a product in installments;
- at your direction, including when you share actions you take on the Services with social media, and vice versa, submit a product review using a third party service or otherwise direct Curtis to disclose your personal information to a third party;
- in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company, joint venture, corporate reorganization, insolvency or bankruptcy, financing or sale of company assets;
- if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet law enforcement or national security requirements;
- if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our Terms & Conditions or other agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of Curtis, our members, our customers, or any other persons;
- between and among Curtis and any current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other entities under common control and ownership; and
- with your consent.
We also disclose aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you. Curtis processes, maintains, and uses this information only in a de-identified fashion and will not attempt to re-identify such information, except as permitted by law.
WHERE YOUR INFORMATION IS PROCESSED AND STORED
We are based in the United States and process and store personal information on servers located in the U.S. Where required by law, we provide adequate protection for the transfer of personal information in accordance with applicable law, such as by obtaining your consent or complying with another approved data transfer mechanism.
YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS AND CHOICES
Access, Correction, and Deletion
Depending on where you reside, you may have the right to (1) request to know more about and access the personal information we collect, use, and disclose about you, (2) request deletion of your personal information, and (3) request correction of inaccurate personal information.
To request access, correction, or deletion of your personal information, submit this webform or contact Curtis Customer Service at 1-877-488-0469. You can also access, correct, or delete certain information stored within your online account at any time by logging into your online account and updating your information.
We may verify your request by asking you to provide information related to your recent interactions with us, such as information regarding a recent purchase. If we deny your request, you may appeal our decision by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have concerns about the results of an appeal, you may contact the attorney general in the state where you reside.
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from Curtis by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your purchases, account, or our ongoing business relations, including information about your account rewards and our initiatives and activities.
The settings of your Internet browser or mobile device may allow you to stop sharing your precise location with Curtis or others.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. You can also adjust certain cookie settings through the Cookies banner and preference center on our site. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR INDIVIDUALS LOCATED IN CALIFORNIA
The California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA") requires us to explain some information using certain definitions and categories set out in the CCPA. If you reside in California, this section applies to you and describes our data practices today and in the preceding 12 months.
California Categories of Personal Information
We collect the following: identifiers (such as your name, email address, or IP address), characteristics of protected classifications under California or U.S. law (such as your age and other demographic information), commercial information (such as records of products purchased), Internet or electronic network activity information (such as browsing history and information about your activities on our Services), geolocation data (such as city of residence), audio and visual information (such as phone recordings when you call customer service and photos and video recordings captured in our stores), professional and employment related information, education information, inferences drawn about your preferences, sensitive personal information, and other categories that relate to or are reasonably capable of being associated with you. For more details about the precise data points we collect and the sources of such collection, see the Collection of Personal Information section above.
Selling and Sharing
In order to advertise our products to you and better understand, improve, and personalize our interactions with you, we "share" and "sell" the following categories of personal information:
Category of Personal Information
Categories of Recipients
Identifiers, commercial information, internet or other electronic network activity information, and inferences.
to advertising and marketing networks, data analytics providers and social networks
You have the right to opt out of sharing and sales at any time. You may do this through the Cookies banner and preference center on our site. You may need to renew your opt-out if you use a different browser or device to access our Services, or if you clear your cookies. We do not knowingly sell or share personal information about consumers under the age of 16.
We store personal information associated with your account for as long as your account remains active. If you close your account, we will delete your account data; otherwise, we will delete your account data after a period of inactivity. We store other personal information for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other business purposes explained in this Policy.
Purposes of Processing
We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the Use of Your Personal Information section above.
Categories of Recipients
We make disclosures to the following categories of recipients:
Category of Personal Information
Categories of Recipients
Cloud Service Providers, Payment Processing Companies, Analytics Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies, Marketing Companies, Fulfillment Partners, User Engagement Partners, Data Enrichment Companies, Email Providers, Event Companies and Providers, Customer Service Providers, Legal Compliance Partners
Characteristics of Protected Classifications Under California or U.S. Law
Cloud Service Providers, Marketing Companies, Analytics Companies, Email Providers, Events-Related Providers, User Engagement Partners, Legal Compliance Partners
Cloud Service Providers, Fulfillment Partners, Payment Processing Companies, Marketing Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies, User Engagement Partners, Email Providers, Events-Related Providers
Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information
Cloud Service Providers, Analytics Companies, Marketing Companies, User Engagement Partners, Fraud Prevention Companies, Email Providers, Legal Compliance Partners
Cloud Service Providers, Analytics Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies, Marketing Companies, Fulfillment Partners, Legal Compliance Partners
Audio, Electronic, or Visual Information
Cloud Service Providers, Fraud Prevention Companies, Customer Service Providers
Cloud Service Providers, Analytics Companies, Marketing Companies, Email Providers, Fulfillment Partners, Customer Service Providers
Personal Information Described in Section 1798.80(e) of the California Civil Code
Cloud Service Providers, Fulfillment Partners, Fraud Prevention Companies, Marketing Companies, Analytics Companies, User Engagement Companies, Email Providers, Event Companies and Providers, Customer Service Providers, Legal Compliance Partners
Please see the Your Privacy Rights and Choices section above for more information about your privacy rights and how to exercise them.
If you are submitting a rights request as an authorized agent, you are required to submit proof of your authorization to make the request, such as a valid power of attorney or proof that you have signed permission from the individual who is the subject of the request. Please do not provide any sensitive personal information in connection with this request, such as a driver's license or other government-issued ID. In some cases, we may be required to contact the individual who is the subject of the request to verify his or her identity or confirm you have permission to submit this request. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request to access, correct, or delete personal information, submit this webform or contact Curtis Customer Service at 1-877-488-0469.
Notice of Financial Incentives
We offer various financial incentives. For example, we may provide discounts, gift cards, or other benefits to customers who sign up to receive our marketing emails or participate in a survey. When you participate in a financial incentive, we collect personal information from you, such as identifiers (like your name and email address) and commercial information (like your purchase history). You can opt into a financial incentive by following the sign-up or participation instructions provided, and, for any ongoing benefits, you have the ability to opt-out at any time, such as by following the unsubscribe instructions in our promotional emails or contacting us at email@example.com. In some cases, we may provide additional terms and conditions for a financial incentive, which we will provide to you when you sign up. The value of your personal information is reasonably related to the value of the offer or discount presented to you.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this Policy or about our privacy practices, please call Customer Service at 1-877-488-0469 or send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also direct your privacy-related comments or questions to the following address:
L.N. Curtis & sons
Attention: Curtis Privacy
185 Lennon Lane, Suite 110
Walnut Creek, CA 94598